Document Type : Research Paper


Department of Water Engineering, Faculty of Civil and Surveying Engineering, Graduate University of Advanced Technology, Kerman, Iran


Estimation of flow energy loss in gabion spillways can be effective in managing erosion downstream of structures, flood control, and riverbed stabilization. Therefore, in this research, using two soft computing models evolutionary polynomial regression (EPR) and multivariate adaptive regression spline (MARS), the amount of energy loss in these spillways was estimated. About 75% of the 74 laboratory data samples were used for training and the remaining 25% were used for testing the models. The dimensionless parameters of Froude number (Fr), spillway slope (S), gabion number (GN), and porosity (n) were used as input parameters. The results showed that the MARS model predicted the energy loss values by root mean square error (RMSE), mean absolute percentage error (MAPE), and correlation coefficient (CC) of 0.05, 0.017, and 0.99, respectively, which has better performance than the EPR model has. The results of Taylor diagram also showed that the performance of MARS and EPR are satisfying and their accuracy is very close to each other. The regression equation by the EPR model was more complex than that regression equation by MARS model. According to the obtained results, the use of the two soft computing models in estimating energy loss in spillways is recommended.


Main Subjects